Sunday 23 October 2011

week 12: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Ahhhh! It took until week 12 but finally the controversial topic has arrived. I must say that I am looking forward to reading many posts on this topic to see what the general consensus is but my hypothesis is that apple will beat google, androids, pc's and all those other fun things.

First things first. Apple products look great. So sleek and shiny and light. I can tell you right now, I would rather slip a little macbook into my handbag then cause injury to my shoulder from lugging around a brick of a pc in a lap top bag. But then we explore the inner workings. I've never owned a macbook. The only real exposure i've had to them was listening to friends go on and on about how great it is. Since coming to uni i've had the joy of sitting and playing with a few macs in my journalism subjects. They are fun to an extent. But one thing I can't stand about them is the right click. I HATE IT! When you're typing on word and you need to correct a mistake on a pc just give the word a little right click >>> fixed = too easy. I'm sure you mac users will tell me though that there is a much more efficient way to do it on an apple product and that i've just been to naive to work it out.

So my opinion on the Apple vs. Google debate is that Apple is too restricting. I feel with Google and android you can get programs from here, there and everywhere. Apple has great products but I think you can only keep apple with apple and not mix and match with different products. I feel android gives me more freedom. I wish though I was more educated on Apple products because this whole blog could be complete lies and Apple could be actually amazing and not restricting or any of those things I said. Drawing from my experiences of Apple, they are not self explanatory and i'm usually a fan of self-explanatory type things. Again, is this just me? Am I the only person in the world who doesn't reap the amazing benefits of having an Apple product other then the fact they look cool and could save me from severe shoulder trauma?

Also I have had an android phone for a year and a half. I once drove off with the thing on my car roof and the screen didn't even scratch. My friend had her iPhone4 for no longer then a week and the glass screen had shattered into a million pieces. So many people I see with iPhones have cracked or shattered screens.. but hey can I really blame apple? Maybe they are just careless?

I took it upon myself to read a bunch of things written by people to gage their feelings on androids and iPhones. Brian Cooley   described apple to be 'more of a cult then a product.'

I think I need to buy some sort of apple product in order to become a true fan. I'm sure I could be easily converted!

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain liv, Apple Macs look so lightweight and their minimalistic design inspires a feeling of ease of use but I too find them harder to navigate than a PC? I suppose it's a matter of what you're use to but phone-wise, I can't bring myself to get an iPhone. they look nice, their apps are relatively no-fuss but they lose me with the touchscreens. I think I'm one of the only people in my friendship group to not only shun an iPhone, but shun touch screens altogether. I don't fit the statistics Ted was mentioning in the lecture at all. I think I'll probably give in eventually but for now my Nokia E63 with the full qwerty keypad does me just fine. I just can't let go of the keypads, maybe it's the writer in me, who knows. But thankfully I haven't had to make the Android/Apple decision yet.

    Apple's been facing a fair amount of problems regarding their iPhone screens lately, specifically with iPhone 4S. Cut and paste the links below to check out some of the issues.

    Yellowed Screens:
    http://goo.gl/BQLqx

    Battery Life Problems:
    http://goo.gl/UVYTu

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOKIA E63 FTW!! I need buttons, iPhone autocorrect can get awkward at times.

    Apple is too confined to their own products, and I feel this could leave them behind when users want more freedom.

    People say Apple products are awesome, but it's just because they've heard it from others.

    e.g. my mum works for IBM and apparently their main computer guy swears by Macs, and so she was really confused when I told her I wanted a PC for my birthday!

    She has no idea, it's word of mouth, I agree with Brian Cooley, it's a cult.

    ReplyDelete